Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Gifts



Some adoptive parents ask when it's appropriate to send gifts to the birth mom and what is too much. Some ask what is appropriate for sending gifts to their birth child. I think it's a personal choice and depends on how open the couple and birth mom are. I think that the first meeting is fine to give a gift, birthdays, holidays like mother's days, placement etc.
My personal experience is I love everything no matter how small it was. For my first meeting I was given a rose, picture album and gift certificate to a salon. Part of this was for my birthday since we met a day before my birthday and I had already chosen the couple. I think flowers are always good and same with a picture album since with an open adoption the couple will be sending pictures. I was given a nice flower bouquet and balloon from the couple that was sent to the hospital. During placement they gave me a white tiger since it's my favorite animal, Josh Groban CD, and a personally made necklace. For mother's day they gave me a butterfly wind chime. I was also given two stuffed animals that looked like the dogs they own this was not for any occasion but it was a nice gift. I love animals. What I hold the most dear is not really a gift. Audrey let me hold Spencer one last time at placement. I also had a lot of love and support in my letters and visits.
Gifts that I gave is a poem and picture for Mother's day. A book for Father's day. I sent Easter candy for the couple and a stuffed lamb for Spencer. This was all the first year. I send Spencer a present for Christmas ever year and for his birthday. I also sent a celestial mobile the first year. I think that it's fine to send something for Christmas and birthday. I don't send the couple things anymore but we always write an email to each other for mother's day, Christmas etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment