Wednesday, November 4, 2009

sensitive areas:

The following can be sensitive areas for birth parents.
child birthday, special songs that remind you of your pregnancy or child, TV, radio shows, books or newspaper articles about adoption pregnancy or loss, pregnancies of friends, coworkers or relatives, others discussing pregnancy, birth, adoption or children, being around babies or children, baby showers, visiting a new mother in the hospital, meeting a child of the same age as yours or with the same name, the birth of the next child in extended family, making decisions about having a future child, making decision in other areas of your life, future pregnancies and deliveries, other losses, family events or special occasions.

I know for me birthdays can be hard for me sometimes but I try to celebrate his life. I miss him more on special days like his birthday. There are many songs that touch birth parents. Some help me others make me cry and sad. I know I had a hard time hearing when someone was pregnant and talking about their pregnancy/delivery. being around babies at first was hard for me but now I love being around kids. Many of these I have felt and had to deal with. I had a friend pass away months after placement and it brought back the loss of placing. It is important to be aware of "triggers" and how to handle them. Each person is different in handling grief.

The following can be difficult questions or statements to deal with:

do you have any children?
you don't have any children so how would you know?
are you going to have children?
why don't you have any children?
Don't you like children?
Don't you want to have any children?
you'll know what it's like when you have children of your own.

Everyone needs to be more sensitive to others. They don't know what you have been through. These questions are hard to answer even if you aren't a birth parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment