Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Labor and Delivery





I was having some complications at the end of my pregnancy with mild toxemia and was on pins and needles wondering when I would be induced. I had been put on bed rest for the last month of my pregnancy. I had high blood pressure, low amniotic fluid and mild toxemia. Every appointment I was told you could be induced based on this test result. I was scheduled to be induced on the February 26, 2004 but the hospital didn't have room so I was bumped to the 27Th. I went to the Hospital at 7:30am and was put in a check room till a room became available. The IV and pitosin started at10:04. When I was first checked my dilation was 3+ 80% effaced, which was the same from my last visit to the doctor. I switched rooms at 10:30. I was having back labor so I was able to go into the jacuzzi bath for about 20 minutes. It felt so good. My sister also gave me massages. Things were not that painful at first so I was playing phase 10, listening to music and visiting with my sister and mom. Things moved pretty slowly so my doctor came in and broke my water at 3:35pm. They wanted to break the water earlier but I was scared and didn't want them too. After my water was broken things moved along quickly and the doctor and nurses were surprised. I got my epidural 30 minutes after my water was broken. The Epidural was the hardest part for me, but I'm really glad I got it. 6:00 they checked and I was completely dilated and effaced. The nurse said that most first time moms push for 1-2hrs. They told me to do a couple practice pushes. The first time I pushed I was already crowning and they had to have the doctor come in quickly. I pushed for 15 min. I only pushed 3 times. The cord was wrapped around "buddy's" neck a little bit. They had to get him out quickly so they used a vacuum. I tore a little bit. He was born at 6:15pm. He weighed 8lbs 14oz and was 21in long. I wasn't sure how much he weighed at first since the nurses kept guessing his weight. It was so neat to see him come out! The first apgar test at 1 minute was an 8 for coloring and the second at 5 minutes was a 9. While the nurses were checking Spencer one of them got squirted. I thought that was funny. Luckily I never was squirted. My sister Heidi was an amazing coach. I only had my mom and sister in with me during delivery. I was so happy when I first saw him. He was so beautiful! My doctor was telling me not to push during the placenta delivery and I wasn't even paying attention to him. I was just staring at my baby. I was so happy. I can't even express the emotions of seeing your baby for the first time. It is truly precious and a miracle.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I have often thought about semi open or closed adoption in case my husband and I come into contact with birth mothers who have been on drugs but you really have shed light on birth mothers for me. I really thing I am confused now because how will the child know who their parent is and would it not be more painful for all? I am not judging you or anything, I am trying to understand because I am confused about the adoption process here and after reading your blog. I understand more but I still have a ways to go about open adoption. Thank you for sharing your story, it was truly beautiful! You are so blessed! :-)

    ReplyDelete