
What is Open adoption? There are many forms of open adoption. It is a lasting relationship with the couple and your child through visits, e-mails, letters, gifts and pictures.
What is Semi-open adoption? The birth mom and couple agree to have correspondence through letters, pictures and sometimes gifts.
What is Closed adoption? There is no contact after the adoption. This is not very common now but was years ago. You can still choose closed adoption if you want.
When I first decided to place I just went with what the agency had available for openness. For the first 6 months (until finalization) the agency would read all letters to make sure that we didn't give confidential information. After finalization the birth mom and couple could decide if they wanted to exchange last names, address, numbers and we could start to email then. We could also decide how often to write and if visits would be allowed. At placement we had agreed to write weekly for the first 6 months. then we went to every other week, once a month, every 3 months, every 6 months and yearly. I don't like yearly since so much can happen in a year. We have had a few visits which I am grateful for. I am also grateful for how often they were willing to write. The letters really helped me when I was struggling. We already knew each others last names, we started to email every once in awhile. We now correspond to each others address since I moved out of state. My caseworker said to me that I had one of the most open adoptions at the time I placed. Now I know they are a lot more open. The adoption is not retroactive though. I am so glad I have an open adoption. It has helped me a lot in the grieving process. I never have to worry where my son is, if he's okay. I know what he looks like and what he's doing. I know that he has great parents. He won't ever have to wonder why I placed him, what I looked like etc. He will grow up knowing that I love him and wanted him. He will grow up knowing he is adopted and why I choose adoption.





No comments:
Post a Comment